Author Topic: Installing a New Wireless Adapter  (Read 5757 times)

Brytano15

Installing a New Wireless Adapter
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:15:06 pm »
I have ordered 2 WUA-1340 Wireless Adapters. i got it to work, but because of shoddy manufacturing both don\'t work Now.(I would not recommend D-link to anybody)

Now since those don\'t work, and rather not order from D-Link this time around. Knowing that I will not being able to just plug in a new WUSB Adapter.

How would I go about installing a new WUSB?

Do you suggest a certain brand or specific model found commonly in local stores?

vitaliy

• View Profile
Re: Installing a New Wireless Adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:42 am »
You can try any model if a corresponding Linux driver is available.
If Linux driver is not available from a manufacturer
as the 1st step it is necessary to check VID/PID of the new adapter. Then, check Internet to see if somebody uses it under Linux.
If so,   there is a big chance to get it working with GadgetPC.

Brytano15

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:27:03 pm »
I found a guide to get it to work but the guide didn\'t work with out compiling it on my gadgetpc. The problem is when I try compiling or installing it the gadgetcp freezes. I have tried a few things. Is there a way to compile the Makefiles into a package maybe? I just can\'t get it onto the gadgetpc.

vitaliy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:35:53 pm »
1. You can cross-compile under Ubuntu. We provide a virtual machine image on bipomftp.
2. If you have Debian on GadgetPC you can compile using native GCC

Brytano15

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:13:42 pm »
It is a makefile for drivers. It has to be installed on the native device.

ehagerup1

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 03:29:30 pm »
When you say it freezes, what is the last line displayed on bash?  Keep in mind these things are really quite slow, compiling of drivers on them may take hours (it did for some of the ones I tried), if you have any other way of connecting it to the net try having a second SSH terminal open with top so you can see what is going on.  It may also be running out of ram (there is only 32M) if you haven\'t enabled swap.  When it freezes, does it still respond to the kill interrupt (control - c)?  It is not to common for base installs of Debian to "freeze" doing anything.  Also as always you check the sys logs?

Brytano15

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:42 pm »
I have tried the default command, but no the terminal connection is completely closed. I have an idea not surely possible, I want to compile the drivers on another computer and install them with some kind of distro file on my gadgetpc.

ehagerup1

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:29:24 pm »
" I want to compile the drivers on another computer and install them with some kind of distro file on my gadgetpc."

That\'s what a cross compiler is.  Have you tried compiling on the Ubuntu virtual yet?  Usually most drivers will compile straight to a kernel object which can be loaded with insmod.  Perhaps if you let us know what wireless card and driver you are trying to work with we can be of more help.